Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mind-full

2012_0327

After brain surgery, 26 staples, some in-patient rehab and a total of only nine days in the hospital, we brought mom home today. She's recovering from surgery like a champ. Although the surgery went well, the news was not what we were hoping for. Mom has Glioblastoma Multiforme a very aggressive brain cancer. The prognosis is not good with only a few months left to live. We brought her home to live with us so she'll have around the clock help and loads of sweet memories for all of the time that we have. She needs lots of help for getting around as "Fred" (the unfriendly brain tumor) still is wreaking havoc on her left side. The Navy and the Red Cross, with not a little help from above, pulled out a miracle and got Stan home just 4 hours before my mom's surgery. We're not sure how long he'll be home, but I am thankful for each moment I've had him here. He's been working hard at making all of the household modifications (accessible showers, furniture moving, etc.) while I spend my days taking care of mom's needs. My brother Jason was able to fly in for the surgery from Denver, and my brother Dave, who lives in Japan, made it here on Friday.

Mom is at peace with the road that is ahead of her, although we've shed a lot of tears as well. Each moment we have will be, to the best we are able, spent squeezing out every ounce of love.

If you're looking for one more thing to pray for, my dad is also beginning the liver transplant process. He is at Stage 4 liver failure from the autoimmune hepatitis. It's quite an intense process at the University of Washington with lots of appointments in Seattle. It was rough for Dad not being able to be at the hospital much for Mom. He's staying with my grandparents right now, and his mom and dad are taking very good care of him.

Thank you all for your prayers for my family. God is good and gives outpourings of His Divine Mercy in times of suffering. This prayer has been a great comfort to me over the past several weeks.
Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.

2012_0306_brain tumor

2012_0327

2012_0327

20 comments:

Shelly said...

My heart is broken...but, yes, God is good and merciful. May He hold you all in His arms.

Leonie said...

So so sorry to hear the news of your Mum & Dads failing health, I pray that you can all find strength & courage to help you in the months to come. Take care Noel.

Brooke said...

I will continue to pray for your family

jknapp00 said...

Sometimes life is so hard and I am so glad that your husband was able to come home even if just for a while. I know it helps to have him there. I will pray for you and yours. God is merciful.

Tina said...

Noel,
I really don't know what to say at a time like this... All I know to do is to keep you and your precious family in my thoughts and prayers! God is in Control and his grace and mercy are new every morning!
Big {{{{HUGS}}}}!
Tina Hicks

Cami said...

Continuing to pray my dear friend that the sweetness of the memories of these days will be rich and deep. Love you all.

KCina said...

Noel....I've never met you, but have followed your blog for years. We both knew and loved Doreen and her wonderful family, I met her thru Relay...Prayers to your wonderful mom and dad and to ALL of you as you continue down this road.

Not sure if you've thought about it, but Caring Bridge is a wonderful way to keep folks updated with both your parents medical treatments...I started one when my mom was hit by a drunk driver last summer and it's a great way to keep everybody informed and able to reach out without making a lot of phone calls or seperate emails...it's also good mental therapy.

Prayers & hugs to all of you....thank you for letting us know and know that there are lots and lots of folks out here, all over the globe praying for peace and more great memories down this road you all continue to travel....

Blessings from Oregon....Kathy

Erica Hettwer said...

Oh, sweetie. There are no words. I am so sorry and will continue to pray for you and your family. I am so thankful that you are able to take your mother into your home during these last precious months. Wishing you all peace and love and memories galore during this so difficult time.

Samantha said...

I am so very sorry to learn of your mom's prognosis as well as your dad's illness. I can only imagine what a difficult time you're going through right now. I am very happy that Stan and your brothers were able to make it home for your mom, and that your mom is able to live with you and your family. I have no doubt that you will be giving her oodles of love :) Your family will be in my prayers. HUGS, my friend.

Cindy B. said...

Prayers for your entire family as you go through these difficult times. My heart breaks for you and the girls (your entire family too)! I pray for peace for all of you. God Bless!!!

Betty said...

Sending you prayers and (((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))) from MN.

Lauriena Cruz said...

Noel,
I am so sorry to hear of both your parents health. I will be lifting you and your whole family up in my prayers.

Luv2talk said...

I hate moments like these, where nothing I can say or do will change anything. So, no words, just the knowledge that my thoughts are with you and I that I have no doubt you will make each moment count.

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Prayers to you and your family. I guess I am a "lurker". I have followed your blog off and on since I found it from the Creating Keepsakes contest. I just think you are very talented and love the Glitz layouts especially. I lost my sister this year (my best friend - 48 yrs old) to lung cancer; she lived just a little over a year. My neighbor was diagnosed the same time as her with glioblastoma. My sister and my neighbor died in the same week. I wish someone had told me (and my neighbor's wife) how much pain can be involved towards the end. Some people have none but others do. Don't be afraid to call hospice; they are experts at pain control. Your mom should not have to suffer. I will be praying for your Mom and your family - I know what you are going through.

Linda E said...

Prayers and hugs to all of you as you travel the road ahead of you. So glad that Stan is home to be your rock.

None None said...

Noel-

I have followed your blog for several years since CK and my heart is heavy for your family and all that you are going through. My prayers are with your mom and your dad as they deal with their health issues. I am also praying for their medical teams so that the right information is provided and the right decisions are made. God is good and His mercy is great. My prayers are with you and your family as well as you care for your mom and dad. So glad that Stan was able to come home and that your brothers are home as well.

Lifting you up in prayer.

Vanessa (aka V'ness, Nessa, oldschool) said...

I am not a frequent pray...er
however I made an exception

please know you & yours
are in my thoughts

hugs are not much
but they are heartfelt

I am so sorry all of this is happening
I am glad Stan is with you

Chark said...

God bless you all through this difficult time...how lucky you both are to have each other. Sometimes love comes with pain and the mother/daughter bond is never broken, despite the pain and distance. Hold each other close and know you are wished strength and peace.

Chark said...

Such a hard road ahead for you all...blessings for your mom and your dad.

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

I am honored to have pass through and meet you along your life's journey as you hold strong to your faith and continue to allow God to fill you with inner strength and fill your heart with the sweet memories your parents are wanting to leave despite the tough battles they are facing. I pray God will continue to strengthen you and your family and fill you with his peace to know He love you all and will carry you through.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin