Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Refashioned Shirt: Take Two

After my first attempt at refashioning a shirt out of hand-me-downs and outgrown clothes, I decided to head to Ross to look for some cheapie tshirts. Following another tutorial from Tea Rose Home I made a second shirt as a gift for a sweet 16 birthday. The pictures aren't great, but they get the general process. I really liked how this one turned out (and it looked super cute on, too). Happy Sweet 16 Kylie! :)

2011_0217_070a
The finished product.


2011_0217_002a
Cut the down the sides and remove the sleeves from one shirt.
You should end up with two pieces that look something like this.

2011_0217_016a
Cut on the diagonal to make long strips 2.5" wide, do this on both pieces.

2011_0217_018a
Round the edges of each strip.
Cut each strip with a wavy edge on one side. (I didn't get a picture of this step,
but you can see it here on the tutorial I followed.)

2011_0217_024a
Run a straight stitch using a wide stitch down the straight edge of each strip.
Pull one thread to ruffle the strip.

2011_0217_027a
Ruffle all remaining strips.

2011_0217_054a
Using one of the smaller strips, pin and sew it on the collar's left side.

Refashion 2: step 6
Continue pinning and sewing strips, folding and overlapping them.

Refashion 2: step 7
Once you near the bottom of the left side, repeat starting from the right side of the collar.
I kept most of my strips toward the left side, overlapping my first set of ruffles.

2011_0217_070a
The finished product. :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

that is awesome!!! You rocked it out! I sooo want to try this now! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Cami said...

I really love it, especially the color. Way to go! I haven't seemed to be able to master my sewing machine or I would try this too. I love the ruffles. Having two girls has encouraged me to embrace girlie things.

Emily S said...

Wow Noel this is AWESOME! The first one you did pointed me to that great site and I have made some super fun plans to make my pregnancy very stylish this summer. Thank you for sharing!

Luv2talk said...

Again, super cute. I love that we can be crafty in so many different ways. ROCK ON!

Julie Overby said...

Seriously adorable.

Laura said...

This is sooo cute! I'm going to have to make one!

Cecilia said...

LOvely, perfect! And it seems easy too! :)
I might try!
Cecilia

Anonymous said...

I found you on Pinterest and used this tutorial on my own shirt! Come see!
http://jamesandleighann.blogspot.com/2011/11/dip-dyed-ruffle-shirt.html

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

This is incredible! I so want to attempt this but am nervous! Your tutorial seems so easy to follow though. The shirt is beautiful!!

Kamie said...

Great tutorial & love the ease of creating cuteness. Question though... Do you just sew over the loose ruffles when you overlap? Also I am assuming you've followed the first stitch you used to make the ruffles and then just left both stitches instead of pulling the first, as you normally would, right?

familjen Persson said...

I just saw this now from Pinterest. Very cute idea! Do you sew with a normal sewing machine? Is it a stretchy seam, like zig-zag or how do you do that? Thanks!!

Terre said...

Very awesome idea. Perfect for covering up a stain or pilling on and otherwise good shirt.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin